Thursday, June 7, 2007

And Now Deep Thoughts by Jonathan Spronk

Here are some random thoughts about my stay in Indonesia while I also marvel at the world wide appeal of SpongeBob Squarepants (yes he is big out here)

On Indonesian and American Christianity - I think every Christian I have come in contact with here in Indonesia wears their religion on their sleeve. There seems to be no mediocre or nominal Christians here. Of course that makes sense. Why would you choose to claim a religion that is in a persecuted minority unless you really believed it? Why would you purposely seek this social stigma if you did not feel very compelled by it? To me, these Indonesian Christians exemplify the salt of Christianity. They are not lukewarm about their faith. They are vocal about what they are and about their mission to save souls.

I don't mean to be contrite or mean, but I think we lack this zeal sometimes in American Christianity. Our churches become social clubs or places to hear good music and be entertained. We spend great time and resources on elaborate buildings that testify to how great we are. We spend our Sundays after the church service complaining about the music or the banners or worse, gossiping about so-and-so who was not at the service, if we even discuss the service with our families at all. Therefore, we get bogged down in the mire of earthly struggles and obscure our views of the heavenly kingdom we are now already apart of.
Don't get me wrong. I am as guilty of these sins as anyone. It's just that my times in Indonesia have taken some of the scales off my eyes about American Christianity.

To me the contrast of Indonesian and American Christianity seems like the Early Christianity Pre-Constantine and Post-Constantine. Before Constantine, Christianity was the minority religion. Only those that truly believed in it, would dare announce their commitment. You were not a nominal Christian or a C-and-E Christian in the Roman Empire before Constantine.
Then Post-Constantine, Christianity was given privileged status - the church grew, no doubt from those who we genuinely attracted to the faith, but also from those who were attracted to the newfound wealth and privilege the church now offered. All of the sudden, the suffering and persecution that was so characteristic of the faith were now gone. Complacency sets in.

I wonder if this complacency is evident in our American churches. I, like many others, seek worship that fits my time schedule and individual tastes. It all about what I want to get out of church, what I want out of my minister. In the end, I become more of a lukewarm Christian, concerned with my feelings instead of God's glory. Do we focus on evangelism? Do we seek to be the salt of the earth? Do we even care anymore?

For instance, these churches in Indonesia just celebrated Ascension Day. It is one of their most special days. See, in Indonesia, in order to promote Religious tolerance, there are national holidays for the four major religion's holy days. So everyone gets off of work for Christian, Hindu, Buddhist and Muslim holy days, no matter what your faith. So every one gets off Ascension Day and it is a holy day on par with the other Christian days like Christmas, Easter, and Good Friday.

Contrast that with Christianity in the United States. At least the CRC has a tradition of observing Ascension Day with services on that Thursday, but I get the feeling the tradition is fading fast (case in point - The very large Classis GR East held a combined Ascension Day service for the whole classis - if each church had conducted its own Ascension Day service the attendance at each church probably would have been putrid). This is not a condemnation of GR East; I think this trend is apparent throughout the CRC. Perhaps the CRC will go the path of many mainline protestant churches and get rid of Ascension day observance. I just don't see that happening in Indonesia.

Instead of celebrating the gospel and its message, today, many of our churches spend more time discussing politics than gospel. Our privileged status in a Post-Constantine-type America leaves us in the (what should be uncomfortable) position of power. Many ministers and churches are wooed by campaigns and some are beginning to see themselves as king makers in politics. I understand why Christians are more involved with politics today - I too want abortion to be stopped and morals upheld. But in our attempts at showing our newfound political power have we lost sight of our mission? Have we dropped our Bibles as we struggle to kiss the brass ring of power? Do we then lose our Christian love when we attack others from other political persuasions? For instance, though I almost completely disagree with her politics, I think Evangelical Christians have said some of the most unloving things about Hillary Clinton during her time in the political spotlight. How can we convince anyone about the love and mercy of Christ when we play cutthroat politics?

Sorry about the rambling, incoherent "sermon". I just wanted to say a few things before they left my mind.


2. Signs of Christianity - Also when one is in a country where Christianity is a distinct minority, it is amazing how much the signs and symbols of Christianity stand out all the more. When a a random taxi cab has a big MARANATHA printed across the back window it is eye catching in a Muslim country. Or when traveling by road in Indonesia it is common to see the metal spire of a mosque every few blocks. However, it stands out all the more when you see a cross on top of a building. What a unique symbol we have for our faith. Did you ever think about it? Buddhists have this smiling statue. Muslims decorate with crescents and stars. Jews place the beautiful words of Hebrew on their synagogues. We put an execution device as the centerpiece of our buildings. I suppose that really stands out to an unbeliever, or to someone who does not see it that often (most Christians are probably desensitized to the look of the cross, I know I am)

3. Traffic - I know that this is not a theological topic but I just have to talk about the traffic here. It is intense, especially in Jogja. Jogja is a city of 3 million people and many have cars or motorbikes. However, the main thoroughfares are no bigger than a two lane U.S Hwy. Imagine Hwy 75 through Pipestone being the major road for a city larger than the Twin Cities Metro area. And now picture this road with little to no traffic lights and all intersections are unmarked, uncontrolled intersections, and you get a picture of the chaos that is Indonesian driving. At least in Jakarta they have freeways in some areas resemble American Interstates, but once you get off the freeways you are in for small roads that often can only hand one car-width at a time.

The roads outside the metro areas are much worse. The two lane roads meander and turn and give little chance for passing due to the extreme high volume of traffic. I never thought I would find a road worse than Hwy 75 through NW Iowa but the road from Bogor to Jakarta is. On our way back last Sunday from the teacher meetings, it took us two hours to go probably 15 miles. Traffic was particularly bad as vacationing Jakartans were leaving the mountains around Bogor to head back home for the week. It was like when Chicagoans leave the Wis. Dells on Sunday, only this only one road back and it is a little country road.

Anyways, this will be my last post until next week. Hope everyone has a good weekend. I am heading on Sunday to an ethnic Torajan Church here in Jakarta. Toraja is a people that live on a different island than the Java island I am currently on. But many Torajans have moved to Jakarta for jobs so their church has followed them. They have interesting burial and funeral practices that I have learned about, but I will save that until next week.

So long
Jonathan

No comments: