Wednesday, June 6, 2007

A Quaking Colon

Hello all,
Sorry about the delay in posting this week. Let me explain. On Monday, I saw off Keri and Rev. Untung on a plane back to the States. Untung will attend BTGH annual meetings the next week in Grand Rapids. And Keri is off to seeing her baby doctor. In a bit of irony, Untung will be in attendance at the 150th anniversery celebration service of the Christian Reformed Church in Grand Rapids, while I, a lifelong CRC member, will be in Indonesia. O well, perhaps I will be around for the 200th celebration in 2057.
However, yesterday (Tuesday) I felt like I wasn't going to make it to the 151st anniversary. I woke up in the middle of the night with a painful stomach ache. I proceeded to spend much of the day either in the bathroom or heading for the bathroom. In all likelihood, it was probably something I ate. My host family, Joseph and Theresia Gunawan were very kind to me during my ordeal, offering a variety of medicines that I could take. Unable to read most of the words on the packages, I chose an anti-diarrheal medicine that had two pictures on the front: one of a quaking Large Intestine followed by a picture of a calm Large Intestine. I decided that that pretty much described my symptoms and the result I wanted to obtain from said medicine.
Needless to say, my colon stopped quaking that evening, and I now feel almost back to normal. I don't know if Indonesia has a counterpart term for "Montezuma's Revenge" but I am sure that is what I had.
In other non-health related news, here is an update of what we have done for the past week. On Saturday, we went to Mini-Indonesia, an attraction that features cultural items from across the islands. On Sunday, Rev. Untung along with Keri and I went to a conference for the training of Sunday School teachers. The conference was a three day training course put on by the local classis (a classis is a group of 12-15 churches in a given area). Untung and I both spoke in the Sunday morning session, on personal keys for successful Biblical teaching. I found it interesting that their denomination supports formal training sessions for their Sunday School teachers, and requires them to be certified in order to teach. I don't think that any churches in the U.S. do this, or if they do I am certainly not aware of it.
Now for the rest of week, I will be finishing up several radio scripts which are in various stages of development and prepare to record next week. Also I may try my hand at writing a TV script for their new adult television program.
Well, I better get back to work.
Jonathan

No comments: