Thursday, April 30, 2009

"Katt's In The Cradle" Book Review

A while back The Preacher's Wife had an offer of the book Katt's In The Cradle free from the publisher on the condition that whoever reads it has to write a review on their blog. So in good Dutch fashion, I signed up for this free book, and now I will attempt my review.

Katt's is written by Ginger Kolbaba and Christy Scannell. It is the third in a series they are writing called Secrets From Lulu's Cafe, though this gives enough background that I wasn't lost not having read the others. Let me tell you, these ladies know what they're doing, because each chapter is roughly 3-4 pages long, which is great for me because it's a lot easier to keep tabs on what's going on without having to reread. It took me about a week to get through this as it is.

This book is basically about the lives of 4 pastors' wives. They are good friends and share with each other their struggles and joys, their family and church life. They share a unique calling and can empathize well with each other.

I enjoyed reading this because it has a lot of real-world scenarios. These ladies have not had and don't have perfect lives and families. Their husbands are not perfect. You get a good glimpse of these pastors just being normal guys and going through every-day challenges. I found this a bit over the top as all of these women are wrestling with something very difficult. The authors also allude to things that have happened in their past, some of which I'm sure are in the previous 2 books. (But I guess that's what makes for good writing and consumer interest.) Things wrap up for them quite neatly like the end of a sitcom. I was about 2/3 of the way through the book, thinking there weren't enough pages left for things to turn around for all of them, but suddenly resolution struck, and everything was okay. Not back to normal, but okay. A bit of a cheese factor, but not unexpected.

The way these ladies and their husbands deal with their problems is really the key to this book, I think. With all the things going on, I think every reader will be able to relate in some way, even if it's not happening directly to them. It helped me to look at things in my life in a new perspective.

Overall, I enjoyed reading this book. I would recommend it for anyone to read (geared towards women). It has good stuff about responding to certain situations in a Christian way, which certainly wouldn't hurt me. I think it's good for congregants to read and understand that pastors and their families are still people who need love and support and prayer just like everyone else, not scrutiny and judgment. It's an eye opener for everyone. I am looking forward to reading the first 2 books of this series.

No comments: