Wednesday, April 8, 2009

A Rant

(I have a good title for this, but it's not appropriate.) I need to share my annoyance, just for a bit. I was watching some news type thing the other day, possibly local, can't remember, when along comes a story about caffeine. The person is interviewing a doctor, who proceeds to tell us that caffeine is in fact an addicting substance that has withdrawal effects, and then they show him interviewing a patient who is telling us what her withdrawal symptoms are. We then learn that caffeine is a stimulant, and in order to avoid some of the negative withdrawal symptoms, it's a good idea to wean yourself slowly instead of quit cold turkey. Then the story ends.

Really? In Phoebe's words, "That is brand new information!" Who doesn't know this already, and why was this an actual story on the news? My thought was that maybe they just needed to fill a gap and picked something randomly from years ago. If you have any ideas, please let me know. Thank you for listening.

2 comments:

K said...

YES! I saw that on the early news the other day, and was similarly annoyed all day! A stimulant...who knew! And you can get addicted? I had no idea that was coming. And it can be hard to quit? Whoa.

Hmph. People are idiots. Why do we keep forgetting this?

Jonathan and Keri said...

Thank you for being annoyed with me! I do get a daily dose of stupid with my day-to-day calendar of stupidest things ever said, apparently based on 4 books with similar titles. (Feel free to email for more info.) But the fact that they presented no new research on this subject just wasted my time. I was waiting for some amazing reveal and then the story just ended.